Alberta Health Services in partnership with the University of Alberta, Faculty of Medicine & Dentistry, is inviting applications for an Adult Psychiatrist for a Zone-wide Acute Care Day Hospital located at Alberta Hospital Edmonton.
Zone-wide Acute Care Day Hospital
This exciting Day Hospital will take psychiatric patients from hospital emergencies and community crisis teams into a 7 day-week acute stabilization, engagement, and treatment centre located at Alberta Hospital Edmonton. There will also be a step-down access from psychiatric inpatient units into the Acute Day Hospital in order to improve flow-through efficiencies for inpatient units.
The key goal of the Day Hospital is to improve emergency and inpatient psychiatric unit flow-through. To this end, the length of stay within the Day Hospital will be 3 weeks, following which patients will be connected to community services for continued treatment. The Day Hospital is suitable for voluntary psychiatric patients who cannot be managed by current community resources and who would otherwise require an inpatient admission.
Positions for 3 Day Hospital PsychiatristsQualifications:
The Psychiatrist recruited to this full time position will require specific skills and training in all aspects of general adult psychiatry including young adults, acute care and consultation as well as experience in community and rehabilitation psychiatry.
Specific competencies and skills include:
· Comprehensive acute assessment, diagnosis, formulation and treatment planning for acute psychiatric patients
· Proficiency in risk assessment and management, and treatment interventions in high acuity patients
· Ability to coordinate efficient care such that engagement, stabilization, and early treatment can be started with the aim to connect patients to community services for further recovery within 3 weeks. This will include being the primary physician providing pharmacotherapy and supportive psychotherapy, and coordinating further treatment with the multi-disciplinary team
· Attending daily scheduled rounds for patient assessment, interview and treatment
· Working effectively in teams, including learning and incorporating the Day Hospital team philosophy into pharmacotherapy, supportive psychotherapy and treatment planning
· Participating in the AHE Duty Call and Day Hospital On-Call Day Roster that includes assessment of new patients and liaison with hospital emergency mental health teams, crisis teams, and bed management
· Practical experience in concurrent disorders, emotion regulation, trauma-informed, and DBT skills will be very helpful
There will be an expectation for physicians to provide post-discharge follow-up at a community clinic on at least one afternoon. This may include an opportunity for the psychiatrist to work at our 24/7 Access clinic which opens in November 2018, which will be located at Anderson Hall on the Royal Alexandra Hospital campus.
It is also the expectation of this position that the successful applicant will participate in quality improvement initiatives within the program as assigned by and reporting to the Facility and Clinical Department Site Chief, Dr. White, and the Clinical Department Section Chief, Dr. Vincent Agyapong. This includes attending AHE Medical Staff meetings called by Dr. White.
Candidates must have an MD and must be eligible for certification with the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada in Psychiatry, for licensure in the province of Alberta. The successful candidate is encouraged to apply for a Clinical Faculty appointment and be committed to fulfilling clinical and non-clinical duties as a representative of the Department of PsychiatryCompensation:
Remuneration will be based on fee-for-service billings submitted to Alberta Health and supplemented by sessional payments.Recruiter Contact:
The competition will remain open until the position is filled. Interested persons who meet the above qualifications should forward 1) their curriculum vitae, and 2) the names and contact information of three references to:
Dr. P.J. White , Facility Medical Director, Alberta Hospital Edmonton, Addictions & Mental Health Alberta Health Services. e-mail: Patrick.email@example.com
Details about the University of Alberta, the Faculty of Medicine & Dentistry and the Department of Psychiatry, can be found on the Faculty’s Home Page at www.med.ualberta.ca. Details about Alberta Health Services and the City of Edmonton can be found at www.albertahealthservices.ca and www.edmonton.ca.
We thank all applicants for their interest; only those individuals selected for an interview will be contacted. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority.
Alberta Health Services, Covenant Health, and the University of Alberta hire on the basis of merit. We are committed to the principle of equity in employment. We welcome diversity and encourage applications from all qualified women and men, including persons with disabilities, members of visible minorities and Aboriginal persons
|Location:||Canada Alberta Edmonton|
Healthcare and Medical
PLEASE! No enquiries from Recruitment Agencies or Headhunters.
Only direct applications will be considered.