Non-MRP Hospitalist, Inpatient Unit, Cross Cancer Institute
The Cross Cancer Institute, CancerControl Alberta, Alberta Health Services, is accepting applications for the position of a highly skilled non-MRP Hospitalist for the Inpatient Unit. The successful applicant shall be eligible for licensure in Family practice and / or general internal medicine with the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Alberta.
The non-MRP Hospitalist provides medical care in a multidisciplinary team setting to cancer patients. Working under the direction of Medical, Hematological, Surgical, or Radiation Oncologists, the non-MRP Hospitalist is involved in consultation, treatment, follow-up, and palliative care of cancer patients referred for treatment in both outpatient/in-patient settings.Qualifications:
Applications must have Canadian training with either CCFP or FRCPC certification (or equivalent). Preference will be given to individuals with training or experience in Oncology or General Medicine, demonstrating the following areas of expertise:
· Expertise in identifying the patient’s health care problems, operationalizing the treatment plan or protocol, and documenting the patient’s care in a progress report
· Competently completes patient history and physical and the documentation for patient investigations and procedures
· Competence in bedside clinical procedures as required, including bone marrow aspirate and biopsy, thoracentesis, paracentesis, fine needle aspirate biopsy, lumbar puncture, and central venous access device removal
· Competence in interpreting laboratory, radiological or other test results in consultation with the appropriate attending physician
· Expertise in responding in person as required to medical emergencies in the Institute as directed by the Clinical Department Head, and to changes in patient condition or urgent medical needs as quickly as possible (including Code Blue). Telephone response will be reserved for situations in which direct patient assessment is not required.
· Expertise in responding to consultations upon the request of the designated attending physician (MRP), requests consultation from physicians and other health care professionals following agreed upon standards of care and, as appropriate, to the needs of the patient, and consults with the attending physician if there is a major change in the patient’s conditions or if any concern arises about the management of a problem.
· Work effectively with oncologists, palliative care physicians and nurses, nurse practitioners, clinical pharmacists, psychosocial resources, and family doctors to provide palliative care and appropriate outpatient symptomatic management.
· Work and collaborate effectively with patients and families, nurses, attending physicians, residents, fellows and other health care professionals in the provision of care.
· Communicate effectively with the patient and/or family member as to the patient’s condition as appropriate and provides health education and counselling to the patient and/or family to assist in understanding and coping with the clinical condition(s).
· Participation in AHS-CCA quality initiatives including, but not limited to, Medication Reconciliation, Antimicrobial Stewardship, Venous Thromboembolism Prophylaxis, Clinical Information System, etc.
An MRP Hospitalist model of care is currently being explored at the site and it is possible that the position could transition into that model in the near future.
The expectation is that the successful applicant will provide inpatient coverage including a blend of daily coverage Mon-Fri and after hours coverage not exceeding the appropriate full time assignment per week.Recruiter Contact:
Consideration of applications will continue until the position is filled. Interested applicants should arrange to have a current curriculum vitae as well as the names of three references forwarded to:
Dr. Charles Butts
Interim Facility Medical Director, Cross Cancer Institute
Interim Zone Clinical Department Head of Oncology, Edmonton Zone
Cross Cancer Institute
11560 University Avenue
Edmonton, Alberta T6G 1Z2
|Location:||Canada Alberta Edmonton|
Healthcare and Medical
PLEASE! No enquiries from Recruitment Agencies or Headhunters.
Only direct applications will be considered.