The Manager- Derivatives & Hedging - Global Treasury Controllership is part of the American Express Global Controllership Organization. GTC plays a significant role in the external reporting for the Company including, SEC and Bank Holding Company filings, earnings releases, earnings supplements, and investor presentations/analysis. This role is responsible for assisting in ensuring appropriate and consistent accounting and reporting for the Company’s derivatives portfolio, which includes:
- Providing accounting guidance to business unit controllership teams and Treasury
- Monitoring and application of emerging US GAAP related to derivative accounting & valuations
- Quarterly analysis and reporting of derivative activities to SEC and the FED
- Lead or support various derivatives related projects
- Assisting in providing ongoing subject matter expertise on Accounting and reporting for derivative transactions under ASC 815.
- Assisting in providing ongoing subject matter expertise on Foreign currency transactions under ASC 830.
- Assisting in providing ongoing subject matter expertise on Fair value measurements under ASC 820.
- Assisting in providing ongoing subject matter expertise on other comprehensive income especially in relation to cumulative translation adjustment.
- Assisting in ensuring compliance with hedge accounting, including hedge documentation, effectiveness assessment and ineffectiveness measurement under ASC 815.
- Performance of detailed analysis of market impacts on the derivative portfolio.
- Preparation/review of footnotes for AXP and major legal entities' financials, review and compilation of MD&A disclosures, and detailed review of related regulatory filings.
- This position will work closely with Treasury’s global liquidity, exposure management, valuation, external reporting and global accounting policy groups.
- The individual filling the role must also build successful relationships with business partners (e.g. Treasury, Financial Reporting, Investor Relations, Legal and Tax).
- Additional responsibilities include participation in various ad hoc projects, creating, updating and monitoring compliance with accounting policies in the Treasury area.
- 5-7 years experience in finance and accounting – experience in Big 4 preferred
- Good understanding of US GAAP (ASC 815, 820 and 830) and regulatory requirements for Bank Holding Companies
- Good collaborative, relationship building experience
- Excellent communication and organizational skills
- Experience in Treasury/Treasury Controllership and/or knowledge of capital markets is a plus
- Bachelors Degree in Accounting or Finance; CPA preferred
Employment eligibility to work with American Express in the U.S. is required as the company will not pursue visa sponsorship for these positions.